Wednesday, August 5, 2009

WFMW

OOoh BACK To school.....YIKES......

Enough Said?!
Maybe so, but this year I have a few tricks up my sleeve..

school lunches- My kids hate them,,,, but packing in the morning has proven to be a disaster on more than one occasion, so, i have used this system for a long time and it works...

When we go grocery shopping everyone picks out one thing they want- this is the only junk they get...and its all theirs.....

Then I get the rest- we pack tuna salad, chicken salad, leftover cold meats and raw veggies. Sounds very June CLeaverish- but my kids love to have real food for lunch- and they need it! I have had their friends ask me to pack their lunches...and we do not go into a big expense either...I shop the discount grocery along with everyone else, and we gave up the hassle of lunchboxes a long time ago. We ziplock bag everything we can....If they need a :dish" for something we get the plastic ones so its not a big deal if its lost....In trying to save money I found that my kids are more appreciative for this way of lunching....and i know what they are getting for lunch

As far as school supplies go, we have a bit of a rebellious streak going right now- our teachers want things like wipes and tissues and ziplock bags etc for each of my children. I just dont do it. Im not sure why my 5/6graders need wipes. dont they have a SINK and SOAP? our district may be broke but GEEZ!!!! Im not kidding when i say at the end of the year there are LOCKERS FULL of this stuff from where they didnt use it all from that year- WHERE DOES IT GO? I send what they need ACADEMICALLY...there is no penalty, because its AGAINST THE LAW for a child to be left out of something because of school supplies or fees.... so I just dont bother with stuff they do not need....I buy the supplies on a discretionary basis...if its a need academically I get it as cheap as I can, if its wipes Im not buying it...doesnt make sense to me..


We serve breakfast at 730 sharp- you want to eat what im fixing you better be down here ready....TOTALLY READY...I made my point last year by fixing pancakes one morning and when my son came down late, he got cold cereal. He was mad, but was never late again...... neither was anyone else. :) it stinks playing hard ball but do what you gotta do...


If there is ever a question in your mind, do not be afraid to ask questions- I used to be afraid to do that- but in reality, you have access to your childs grades, records etc whenever you need them...within reason of course....
Teachers need our help- we live with our kids, and having a good communication process is essential.. We do not buy teacher gifts for everyone- only for tho ones my kids feel deserve them......

Know your childs school and talk to them about it a lot....not just the people but the building. Make sure they understand where they are and how to get out just in case.....being outside before you count kids in a fire drill is fine , in a real fire- not so fine.....so be sure they know...

Have you seen the hallmark commercial where the mom sneaks a card into the kids bag? I DO THAT. once a week for the whole school year my kids get a note from mom...they say they hate it but i found them ALL in the bottom of the boys lockers at the semester breaks, so it must not have been too bad....I dont buy cards- I just write a little something for each of them, on different days........iys a fun way to say- hey Im here.....just not holding your hand....(althoug in my mind I am)

I love/ hate back to school, so as we count down, lets just be greatful our kids can get an education . Some places in the world dont get this option .....
...

No comments:

Post a Comment