Thursday, October 9, 2014

Isaiah 30:18-21

There are some verses in Isaiah that I have learned to depend on when I feel like I have lost my way. 
The entire passage fills me with hope and conviction to trust God and obey His word...It also bring some peace on those days when I just feel directionless.
 

Isaiah 30:18-21

         "So the Lord must wait for you to come to him, so he can show you his love and compassion. For the Lord is a faithful God. Blessed are those who wait for his help. Oh people of Zion, who live in Jerusalem, you will weep no more. He will be gracious if you ask for help. He will surely respond to the sound of your cries. Tough the Lord gave you adversity for food, and suffering for drink, he will still be with you to teach you. You will see your teacher with your own eyes. Your own ears will hear him, Right behind you a voice will say, "This is the way you should go,whether to the left or to the right." Then you will destroy all your silver idols and your precious gold images. You will throw them out like filthy rags saying to them "Good riddance"."

There is a certain peace that comes with hearing a promise written by God that is applicable to me in this very harsh world. In my lifetime I have seen wars, I have seen terrorism, I have seen domestic violence and other crimes against seemingly innocent people.  Personally I take these things really hard, though I have never had a personal relationship with any victims. I turn off the news to curb my anxiety. I listen to Christian Radio (K-LOVE shameless plug) . I spend my time with the tv on, not really watching, just background noise. I study. I write. At the end of the day the still small voice that urges me to pray urges me to simplify, to write, to worship.

I turn off the tv and wonder why on earth I made the choice to make the Lord, the Creator of the entire universe, wait for me.
 Vs18 tells me its not the first time. He waits to show me his love, his compassion. Things  I live to see. 
 Vs19 promises me no more weeping,no more crying. A simple request and God is gracious to me. Through all of my personal suffering and adversity, he brings me peace. 
Vs 21 tells me I do not listen very well.
 Lets address this last most important verse:
If you want to hear what God has to say to you, first you must ask him, then you must stop and listen.

Stop.
Listen.
Pray.
Listen.

Seems so simple. Seems so easy. Seems very directive. Hmmm...
Then why do I find it so hard to just stop moving and listen?
Be still he says. 
Be still.

So I read this scripture each day before bed and pray over my family and friends, that I may be a blessing to them. Then I pray for my own procrastination, and that I can learn to stop and listen to that still small voice that speaks to me ever so clearly when I choose to hear it. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment