Monday, October 20, 2014

9 minutes

When I wake up in the morning, the first thing I do is hit the snooze. The second thing I do is pray for my husband. I know from the time I hit that button until it starts with its annoying weird sound again I have 9 minutes to sleep, or pray. 

Now I know what you are thinking. What on earth would I pray about for 9 minutes that only concerns my husband?  I pray about his entire day- everything from his first waking moments and his drive to work to the moment his head hits the pillow beside me at night. 

If he has a meeting, I pray about that. If he is feeling groggy, I pray about that. If someone has hurt his feelings, he is worried or is just feeling down, I pray about those things. 

Praiyng for your husband can change your world. On the mornings he is still in bed beside me, I lay my open hand on his back or shoulder and I pray. Usually I pray longer than 9 minutes, because the alarm goes off in the middle of something important I need to finish.

Some of you may think this is a strange habit I have gotten into- but that is just the point. I am a super-procrastinator. I can put off anything I need to do and make any excuse to put it off sound completely logical. I had to find a way to make myself stop and take the time to pray. So in the morning, during that awful time between alarms and waking 2 teen boys for school, I choose to pray.  When the second alarm goes off I pray for my children, their spouses and their children. It is a simple way to make prayer part of my routine.

When the rest of your life is inconsistent in schedule, you have to find ways to accomplish the goals you have set for yourself, and praying for them is one of my goals.

Choosing to spend time meditating for hours is what I would like to do. I would love to have a corner of my room with pillows on the floor, quiet worship music playing and a full hour to pray without my mind interrupting my thoughts. It just doesn't happen that way. So I spend my prayer time focused, in the quiet of the morning, on what I think is most important to pray about.

My marraige is the number 1 relationship in importance to me, only behind my relationship with Christ. To pray for my husband and all he does everyday is an honor for me. Even on days when he has been grumpy. or when we are in disagreement about something, I pray for him. God has a way of blessing us through prayer, and through scripture. The more I pray for my husband, the more I am blesssed. 

I would like to encourage you to find a moment to pray specifically for your spouse each day as part of your routine. It is important to communicate to our Father what our needs are, and what our husbands need is just as important.

Praying for the marraiges out there that need prayer, peace and perserverance.



No comments:

Post a Comment