Tuesday, November 26, 2013

My Thanksgiving

My favorite part of Thanksgiving is......

The Thanksgiving.

Sometimes I think we completely overlook the act being thankful in our everyday lives...however, this week, Thanksgiving is at the forefront of our minds. Sure, there is turkey and all of the trimmings. Traditionally I purchase poinsettias this week to keep for the holidays. We divide the tasks for the big dinner between myself, my momma and my sister in law. We eat, shop and laugh the entire weekend. The guys go hunting for pheasant, and spend time together bonding in the great outdoors with a bunch of dogs who run amuck like the kids...then on Monday- back to reality .

Reality
Now that is something worth discussing.
Why is it that our reality doesn't include being thankful everyday for every moment? When we are young, we are taught please and thank you. We learn to write thank-you notes for graduations and weddings. But what is being thankful really about?

The word I like for giving thanks is eucharisteo. It means to give thanks. When considering that every moment of every day is a gift from God, shouldn't thankfulness be a part of our everyday, like prayer and showering? Maybe thankfulness is just hard for some, because of their circumstances or life situation.

As for me, I will continue to give thanks for every single thing. God never gets tired of hearing from his children, and I never get tired of thanking Him. This holiday weekend, lets start a new tradition- of giving thanks every day for every thing. 

Praying a prayer of thanksgiving for those who deserve it...
 and for those who think they don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment