Tuesday, January 21, 2014

What to say when you don't know what to say...

SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPEALIDOCIOUS....

Its what you say when you don't know what to say!
Right?!

When my kids were young, they loved Mary Poppins. I too loved the classic, and learned fast that the nearly three hour movie could quickly turn into a long afternoon nap for all of us if played right after lunch . There are other films my children enjoyed at this critical time of day, but this one was the most requested. Each time I would wonder about that infamous song. 
Mary all dressed up after winning an impromptu race that started out as a fox hunt. 
The children, Jane and Michael, so excited when she gets an interview.
Bert just smiling and singing along.
And when the rain comes, they pop out of the sidewalk chalk like daisies in the spring, and get on their way home to dry off and get set for bed with a Spoonful of Sugar.

If only it were this easy.
I mean, a spoonful of sugar, really?   

(I must interject and agree that the rum-punch flavor Mary indulged in was probably best- not a big fan of cherry flavored cold medicine.)

However, when I am in  spot and I don't know what to say, this huge word is enough to make me forget what I was trying to say in the first place. It has saved my tail on more than one occasion, and I am glad to have known it all these years. It does occur to me, however, that I could be using the wrong word.    

What?
What did I just admit?
I am using the wrong word?
Oh My.

Let me explain. When I have an argument with my husband (whether he knows we are arguing or not), sometimes I just do not know what to say. I can say what I feel, think or have an opinion of, but that doesn't magically make him agree with me, understand me or keep him from running from the topic at hand.
If there is an issue with a friend, at work or with the kids, I do not always have the right answers. Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious just doesn't always work. Its great for some things, not so great for those most important relationship things. Not so great for those moments that define us and our relationships with others. 
Then the only other word I am left with is Jesus. There is a popular Christian song that says:

" When you don't know what to say,
Just say Jesus.
There is power in the name,
The name of Jesus."
-7th Time Down

(you can listen here  )

Can you imagine it was here all along? 
To call on the most powerful name ever, added bonus- its easy to spell and pronounce. 
Simple letters, simple truths. 
When you don't know what to say when your husband just doesn't get it- say Jesus.
When you don't know what to say to the friend making a super-bad choice- say Jesus. When you don't know what to say to a distraught child- say Jesus.
When you are feeling a little more than a little lost and confused- Jesus.

When you don't know what to say, just say Jesus.

Praying for saying Jesus when I just don't know what to say.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment